Hi Ian,

Yes, but the third-party developer isn't going to do that work for
free. He is going to want to be paid and where is Quentin suppose to
be able to get that money from? Do you expect him to pay out of pocket
for it and not expect the Mac users to pay for the port themselves?

As Quentin himself said earlier in this thread porting an  app written
in C or C++ to a different platform isn't easy. If he wants to convert
his app to Object-C for Mac OS he absolutely has to buy a Mac computer
himself or higher a third-party developer who does have one. Either
way is going to cost him money, and we haven't even discussed personal
skill and experience developing for the platform.

True, there are other ways of going about this such as rewriting the
client in Python, Java, or some other runtime language which might
save him the cost of a third-party developer, but again this assumes
he knows that particular programming language and knows enough about
Mac OS to correctly write the application for the target environment.
Basically, I think Quentin has the right idea by outsourcing the work
as it will save him time, labor, and it is unlikely to get someone
else to do the work without paying him/her to do it. If the Mac users
aren't willing to pay a small some like $15 toards the project then I
see no reason for Quentin to fork over the cash to higher a developer
to do the port. I know it sounds unfair, but let's deal with reality
rather than the imaginary world of should've, could've, would've.

Cheers!