Hi Quentin,

You'll get no argument from me. I for one agree with you on all
points, and that is why I don't use Java for any of my games.
Especially, for the Genesis Engine. The accessibility of Java
applications is too inconsistent between screen readers and different
platforms to make it a reliable option for an accessible game
developer such as you and I.

I chose C++ for many of the same reasons you did. First, reliable
access to DirectX, SAPI, screen readers, and anything else I want to
use in my games. Second, direct support of the Windows API and GUI
components that offers reliable accessibility for message boxes,
registration dialogs, and any other text I want to present on screen
to the end user. As you said the Java Access Bridge is no longer being
maintained now that Oricle has taken over Sun, and we don't really
know where Oricle is heading with Java accessibility currently. The
only way to avoid the issue with Java accessibility is to drop Swing
and use APIs like SWT, and JFace but that doesn't resolve everything
satisfactorally.

Plus as others have mentioned AWT Events are to slow for reliable
keyboard/mouse support in games, and javax.sound.sampled leaves a lot
to be desired. I just felt rather than use Joal for OpenAL support or
JInput for input support etc I would be better off with DirectX or
using OpenAL directly rather than through a Java wrapper.

Cheers!