I think I could try it out. I will download the SDK and try.
Am I absolutely obliged to use visual studio ? I don't want to buy it and I have heard that express version was not compatible with jaws or NVDA. Some time ago I tried 2008 express for C++ but it was very annoying to use. Compared to eclipse which it's free it's a pain. Which version of C# do you recommand ? I have heard that latest 4.0 might not be the best idea and would be reserved form windows vista and 7, leaving XP users out.
And what about audio APIs ?

I'm sorry, I'm getting a little off topic, we may continue that discussion about C# on the developpers list or in private