Just in case something was weird, I also registered the dx7vb.dll file
in the system32 folder in my 64 bit windows 7 system, however, I
checked the readme, and there was only mention of that particular
file. There are other dll files in the folder, but it seemed pointless
to copy them.

Here, for your reading pleasure, is a copy of my debuglog.txt file:

Starts here:
Starting program
error: ActiveX component can't create object
Creating DirectSound...
Setting Coop level
Sound finished.
Version is 1.6b