I've experenced this a few times when, I had the enemy lined up, hit it with
pistol no problem, yet my rifle doesn't hit it.
My tactic is to line up proper using a silenced pistol, and when that first
shot hit- assuming if it's a bigger enemy like a tyrant, then I switch to a
bigger gun- this way I don't waste 10 rifle rounds just to line it up and
attracting other mobs to my area.
So once my pistol hit the tyrant, I quickly switch to rifle or shotgun- yet as
I said, the rifle strangely missed what the pistol could hit!