From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 4:28 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] Proofreading Guidelines was Blind Gamers Being
TakenSeriously?

Hi Meka and all,

Back when we were discussing the proofreading guidelines for the list
we were considering something very basic that most people should be
able to follow without too much explanation.

For example, let's take punctuation. Now, we know there are some more
advanced punctuation rules such as using  colons, semi-colons, and
dashes that may be unfamiliar to some of our list members. We would be
willing to overlook things like that because there are plenty of
people who are sighted that aren't sure where to put a colon or where
a semi-colon should be used instead of a comma. However, everyone
blind or sighted should be able to know where and when to use basic
punctuation rules like periods, questions, and exclamation points.

We base this on the fact that anyone over 10 years old in the United
States should be able to recognize the difference between a
declarative sentence, exclamatory sentence, or question. In fact, my
son is only seven years old and he can tell you when and where to put
a period or question mark. So its not unreasonable to ask list
members---who are likely older than seven---to complete sentences with
a period or question mark at a bare minimum.

As far as spelling goes it is usually pretty obvious when someone
doesn't attempt to proofread a message for spelling errors. One or two
can be overlooked but if a message is full of several mistakes its
going to be rather obvious that the person has not made any effort to
proofread the message before sending. Most e-mail clients such as
Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Microsoft Outlook, etc come with spell
checkers so there really isn't an excuse not to spell check a document
to get a reasonable amount of accuracy on the final draft.

The same holds true for grammar. Its a given certain words can be very
confusing for a blind user. The English language is full of words that
sound alike but have totally different meanings such as: to, too, two,
there, their, they're, sale, sail, here, hear, stake, steak, where,
and wear.Some spell checkers will catch the grammatical mistake, but
some won't. In a case like that a moderator would overlook the mistake
as long as the message was otherwise pretty free of errors. Trust me
when I say we understand how something like that could be confusing if
a person is using speech instead of braille or visual reinforcement.

If it is something more obvious like a double negative the moderator
could write the person off list suggesting how to restate the sentence
so it is more grammatically correct. The purpose wouldn't be to put
the person down but merely to instruct them how to improve there
language/communication skills.

For example, let's assume someone writes, "I didn't find no ammo in
Shades of Doom." Some people might not realize that is a double
negative, is grammatically incorrect, and might just need a reminder
how to restructure that sentence to read, "I didn't find any ammo in
Shades of Doom."

That doesn't mean we--the moderators---would hound people, but would
merely make recommendations and suggestions that would improve their
communication skills. I for one can't see it as anything other than
being helpful and an improvement for the person. Of course, a lot
depends on if the person wants the help, wants to change, or continue
to compose poorly written messages. In a case like that if a person
continues to write messages that are difficult to read the moderators
would then go to the next step by moderating or banning them from the
list until the quality of their posts improves. However, we wouldn't
take a serious action like banning them without giving them a number
of chances to correct the problems first.

Cheers!