Well, I can confirm for sure that the heaviest sharp Katana I've scene is about five pounds, yes. Maybe a touch under it... I won't say anymore though other than that all you're saying makes sense based off what research I've done and what little I've scene. But being a practioner of a Japanese swordsmanship style, the only sword I have any absolute knowledge on is the Katana. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dakotah Rickard" <dakotah.rick...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] medieval weapons

A short sword was about a pound and a half, a standard arming sword
(what we call a longsword in our misconception) was about five, katana
were about that much, great swords were about ten or fifteen, once
steel was involved. Armor was either chain, plate, or leather-based,
plate is widely misconceived. There was heavy plate, but most of it
was really not as thick as we often think. Most plate was really quite
thin and used to deflect slashes with other armor underneath, so plate
suits could be as light as thirty pounds.
There were heavy heavy suits, but they fell out of popularity for the
reasons you all are mentioning. The trouble is that real armor and
weapons don't balance well for game or interest purposes.
I am guilty of this, myself, but really, there were good melee weapons
and bad ones, and many weapons just aren't meant to be balanced, no
matter what I or developers or movie-goers might wish.
Essentially, I don't doubt that there were forty pound swords, but
they were surely not common, and claymores and great swords were
usually half that at most.
I hope I'm not seeming arrogant, and I'm honestly writing this while
somewhat distracted, so this may seem discombobulated.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard

Swords and knives mostly. I like them because they're more elegant... an axe
is savage and undeniably cool though. lol. But I like Asian-style swords
because of the designs, and the way they're used is pretty interesting as
well.