If your touchpad is on, you should be able to use it right away by
setting up your account, opening multiplayer gently sliding your
finger left and right to turn your character, and clicking the left
button to fire or the right one to walk forward. The most essential
facet of this is the ability to turn your character. If your touchpad
is off, you won't be able to turn them. If there are no navigation
cues in the area such as people or ambient sounds, you can check
whether they turn by pressing w to announce your current heading,
sliding your finger along the touchpad, and pressing w again to get a
new announcement. Since it is unlikely that you can turn completely
around with one swipe, the messages should be different. If they are
not, then your touchpad is off, and you will need to read your
laptop's instruction manual to find out how to turn it on again,
though it may be possible to do so through the mouse settings function
of your control panel.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard