From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Loravara
Sent: 26 June 2012 23:53
To: 'Gamers Discussion list'
Subject: [Audyssey] Seeking Information on MUDs

Hi,

For years, I played on AmberMUSH and a few Pern MUSHes. Then real life took
over and I disappeared from the MUSH scene for a while.

I'm not sure there are really MUSHes left.  Text-based role-playing in that
fashion seems to have been replaced by World of Warcraft and other MMORPGs.

I know there are still some MUDs out there, but I've always had the
impression that these were more combat-oriented games, with a lot less
role-playing going on.

I have a few questions for those willing to help:

Can you recommend good MUDs?  Are there any that have a good balance between
role-playing and combat?  How many users does the typical MUD have at one
time?  Are there opportunities for building and coding as there were on the
MUSH?

For combat themed MUDs, is speed a high priority?  If so, what is the best
client for us to achieve that as blind players?  I use JAWS 13, Eloquence
and a Braille display  .When I was MUSHing, I used SimpleMU, which worked
well.  I was able to code it to do some cool things, and tinker with JAWS to
make it read well. I think I saw some references to VIPMud.  Is it better
for Mudding?

Are there MUD clients that will work on the iPhone, and what are their
pluses and minuses?  If I play on the iPhone, I will certainly want to use
the Braille display for input. Is this likely to pose a problem?

That's probably enough to get started.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nancy

-----