Lindsay,

Since most of the other advice doesn't seem to be working for you,
here's what I recommend:

1) Slow down.  Give yourself more time to respond to dangerous situations.

2) Be more careful.  Don't get into dangerous situations.

3) Attack lower level stuff that is less dangerous.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com