Hi Dan,

All performers are unlocked and playable from the beginning of the
game. Like Piledriver you will be able to select any performer you
want to play and wrestle any other performer in the game's database.
The only acception to that rule is female performers can only wrestle
female performers and male performers can only wrestle male
performers. Otherwise if you want to have say Steve Austin wrestle
Edge go ahead. There is no restrictions on who you can select and play
per match.

Cheers!