From: Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 4:09 PM
To: richard grevis
Cc: Deepak CHAUHAN; ganglia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Ganglia-developers] Problem in windows ganglia version

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 12:58:22PM +0100, richard grevis wrote:
> unfortunately for you, this is a bug, and the bug lies in cygwin
> rather than gmond as I remember it.

More than a bug, it is a limitation because for the point of view of gmond
it is limited to the ammount of memory that cygwin can see (which is a
process and therefore limited to its process size depending of what the
system lets it access) and that can be :

  2GB: if running a 32bit OS.
  3GB: if running a 32bit OS with the /3GB boot flag.
  4GB: if running a 64bit OS.

> Try: http://aprconsulting.ch/product_ganglia.htm
> as this is a native windows app and may not share the bug.

Just being a native windows app wouldn't help, but having a native windows
implementation of the metric would; specially if it is implemented correctly
and avoids the following microsoft bug :

  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274558

The binary only version of gmond wouldn't run in my 6GB Windows 2000
Advanced Server (PAE enabled) virtual machine though so I can't tell if it
does.

Carlo