Hi Brad:

On 11/29/07, Brad Nicholes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The reason why I am making that suggestion is because if somebody wants a
> static version then they should just continue using 3.0.5.  They would be
> gaining nothing by building 3.1.x statically.  Secondly, the static version
> is tied to an old version of APR 0.9.x which has never been officially
> released by the ASF.  The only supported versions of APR outside of its use
> within the Apache httpd server itself are 1.x versions.  Since there has been
> new work in APR 1.2 with regards to the multicast APIs and other bug fixes
> and enhancement, it gets increasingly risky to stick with an old pre-release
> version of APR.  In addition, I would like to see Gmetad ported on top of APR
> as well so that it can take advantage of the portability advantages of APR.
> I'm not sure that work going forward would include a static build capability.
>  Certainly not on APR 0.9.x anyway.

I should have clarified my previous post a bit.  When I say we will
distribute the dependencies in a separate tarball, I implied _newer
versions_ of the dependencies.  So basically we will be updating
whatever version of apr we currently have, to the latest 1.x release
in this "dependency tarball" (we'll update the other packages too, if
necessary).

In this case, static builds (with the updated dependencies from the
tarball) should be able to take advantage of the new features?

Cheers,