Bernard Li wrote:
Testing trunk, I noticed this behaviour:

Let's say I have 2 hosts, one host with a custom metric "temp" (which
measures the temperature of the motherboard, for instance), and the
other host does not have this metric.

I have a similar configuration, with similar metrics.

I go to the Cluster Report pull-down menu, and select "temp" which
results in only one host graph (the one which has this metric).  The
other host doesn't have a graph but simply have a text link to the
host and an error is outputted to httpd's error_log saying that the
corresponding temp.rrd file doesn't exist.

Does anybody remember what the 3.0.x behaviour is for this situation
(or perhaps this wasn't allowed previously)?

On 3.0.7, I have the same symptoms, except that I don't see "text links" to the missing graphs. Looking at the HTML for the page, the links are present, just not rendered (Firefox 2.0.0.12). There are messages in the error_log about missing rrds.

And going forward, how should we solve this?

I'm not sure how much of a "failure" this really is. A metric was requested, the data isn't there, and Ganglia is gracefully handling the issue. I think that having the gaps even has some value: it makes it very obvious which hosts don't have that metric. One possible improvement would be to reduce the spurious messages in error_log. Maybe an "ignore missing .rrd files" config option? Another would be to replace the text links you see, or the blank spaces I see, with a placeholder message of some sort reading "Metric FOO not available for host BAR."

A more subtle problem is when the .rrd files are present, but haven't been updated recently. You just get blank charts, with zeros everywhere. Not really sure how to handle that one though...

--
Jesse Becker
NHGRI Linux support (Digicon Contractor)