On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 03:25:23PM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bernard Li"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>  >   1064    carenas   if test -f "$libaprpath" ; then
> >>  >   1064    carenas     APR_INCLUDES=`$libaprpath --includes`
> >>  >   1064    carenas     AC_SUBST(APR_INCLUDES)
> >>  >   1072    carenas     APR_LIBPATH=`$libaprpath --link-ld`
> >>  >   1072    carenas     LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L`expr "x$APR_LIBPATH" :
> >>  > '.*-L\(.*\) '`"
> >>  >   1168    carenas     AC_CHECK_LIB(apr-1,
> >>  > apr_socket_send,,,[`$libaprpath --libs`])
> >>  >   1064    carenas   else
> >>  >   1064    carenas     CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I$libaprpath/include"
> >>  >   1064    carenas     LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L$libaprpath/lib"
> >>  >   1064    carenas     echo "Added -I$libaprpath/include to CFLAGS"
> >>  >   1065    carenas     echo "Added -L$libaprpath/lib to LDFLAGS"
> >>  >   1168    carenas     AC_CHECK_LIB(apr-1, apr_socket_send)
> >>  >   1064    carenas   fi
> >>  >
> >>  > I think you meant to put down "$libaprpath/apr-1-config --includes",
> >> etc.
> >>
> >>  no, the first path is used when --with-libapr points to the location of
> >>  apr-1-config (as used in Apache --with-apr) and so the syntax is correct
> >> (even
> >>  if I agree looks confusing and needs refactoring).
> >>
> >>  are there any valid uses of --with-libapr where it points to a directory
> >> with
> >>  "include" and "lib" subdirectories?
> >
> > According to a post Brad made when he first implemented the
> > --with-libapr option in configure:
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/ganglia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net/msg02880.
> > html
> >
> > He said "If --with-libapr=<some-path-to-apr> si specified, it will
> > build and link with the libapr found in the specified path."
> >
> > This seems to conflict with your assumption that the argument passed
> > to --with-libapr should point to the location of the apr-1-config --
> > can we please have some clarification and perhaps update the configure
> > documentation?

Committed revision 1201.

>  Right now it just says "--with-libapr=DIR
> > Specify alternate location for libapr-1" -- to me it sounds like the
> > path where the apr1 library is installed.  Brad?
> >

> So if I am understanding the configure code correctly, --with-libapr=<some
> path to apr-1-config> then the test for this file will be true and the file
> apr-1-config will be used to supply the paths for includes and libs.  However
> if --with-libapr=<some path to apr directory> then the path specifies the
> location of the "includes" and "lib" directories that will be added to the
> CFLAGS and LDFLAGS.  My intention was specifically for the latter however it
> appears that Carlos changes satisfy both.  Am I correct?

correct, I am not sure if --with-libapr=DIR was ever usefull though, as APR
doesn't layout its include and libraries in the way that option expects unless
explicitally forced to, but the new implementation (which matches what apache
uses for --with-apr) supports that as well.

Carlo