Just to chime in here...

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 13:17, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 08:46:11AM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:
>> At the developers meeting last Feb. we talked about what to do with new
>> module

>> and other types of contributions such as utility scripts.  A new contrib/
>> directory was created by hawson in March.
>
> that was I think unrelated with the debate about a module repository that we
> had at the summit and more linked to the immediate need of distributing useful
> user provided stuff like the SMF profiles needed to run ganglia in Solaris 10
> as you can see by (also linked into the STATUS file) :
>

> http://www.mail-archive.com/ganglia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03807.html

Correct.  I don't think that contrib/ was ever intended to be the
"proper" location for user contributed gmond modules.  I see it as
more for "miscellaneous" other stuff--like SMF startup scripts, or
routines for copying and restoring files from tmpfs on a regular
basis, or other sorts of "infrastructure" tasks (for lack of a better
term).

>> I don't think we should just be dumping anything that lands in contrib/
>> into our builds.

Agreed, but the threshold need not be high for inclusion.  I am *not*
suggesting that we take any and every submission.  However, if it's
useful to someone, it's probably useful to someone else, and at least
worth considering.

--
Jesse Becker
GPG Fingerprint -- BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0 2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2