On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
<care...@sajinet.com.pe> wrote:
> the interactive port was designed to mimic the behaviour from the
> original gmetad port which always returns the whole tree.

why's that? if I wanted the whole tree I'd query the non interactive
port, instead I'm asking for specific metrics so I should get them or
nothing (or an error). Falling back to whole tree doesn't sound
correct to me.

> if your concern is about returning too much data and the request was
> missing, it might be better then to return no tree information (which
> should be also valid)

I'm not sure what you mean here with "no tree information". Would the
DTD + grid tag count as such?

I see 2 cases:
1) bad request
2) some/all of the items do not exist

1) happens before root_report_start is ran, so we could easily return
nothing or call root_report_start and end before closing the fd
2) happens after root_report__start has ran, so we could add each
found metric and nothing for the non-existing ones, and then call
root_report_end

doing that in both cases you get valid xml with at worst a GRID tag
that doesn't contain anything or contains multiple cluster tags for
each requested metric and the non-existing ones missing, which should
be enough of a hint to the client that they don't exist.

would that do?

--
"Behind every great man there's a great backpack" - B.