I wish I'd gotten around to my hack, Daniel - but you might consider doing it:
put an option in where gmond doesn't reverse the address at all; it just
reports the IP in the host field like it does if it can't reverse the address.
Let gmetad handle the name lookup, if any, and if you have to solve the problem
there, well, it's only one or two places in your network to worry about reverse
lookup on - you might even resort to just maintaining /etc/hosts in that case.

Probably a bigger change than you were thinking of, but it seems like we get
address resolution problems on the user list fairly frequently, and they're
easier to resolve for one or two boxes than hundreds or thousands.

-- ReC