Bernard Li wrote:
> Hi Daniel:
>
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Daniel Pocock<dan...@pocock.com.au> wrote:
>

>> Some of the biggest Ganglia sites I know of probably wouldn't be able to run
>> without it now
>>

> Well, I think the tmpfs hack would still work.  But I agree, rrdcached
> is a much better solution.

I can certainly imagine sites where tmpfs is a good solution - but the
amount of data collected depends on retention policies (how many
days/months, short polling intervals) so it won't work for everyone.

>> Maybe it's time I added that to trunk as well.  Given that it can be easily
>> turned on and off, I don't see any reason not to backport it for 3.1 too.
>>

> Sure, why don't you check it into trunk and I'll review it.  Perhaps
> we can even try to detect if rrdcached is available and just enable it
> for the user automatically for fresh installs -- that way, we can get
> more testing done.

I'm not sure that enabling it by default is a good idea, especially in
3.1.  Maybe we do that on 3.2?

However, the basic stuff for rrdcached is now in trunk, r2049, and
people can enable it if they want to.