I notice in gmetad/Makefile.am that AM_CFLAGS includes -O0

This is the case for both 3.1 and trunk.

Is this intended for some reason?  I've looked through the SVN history,
I can see that it has always been this way since AM_CFLAGS was added to
Makefile.am in r384

It refuses to build on Solaris 8/Sun Studio 11 with this setting, so
I'll be removing it for 3.1.3

Regards,

Daniel