On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 02:33, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
<care...@sajinet.com.pe> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:28:03PM -0700, Bernard Li wrote:
>>
>> I have a Fedora 9 VM that I can use to bootstrap in the future --
>> would the autotools that come with that version work?
>
> something with libtool 2.2 probably better, as well as something
> that is still getting updates (in case there are bugs that need
> to be fixed).
>
> Fedora 12 is going to be released in a couple of weeks and
> therefore Fedora 10 will go out of support a month after that,
> leaving Fedora 9 EOL for more than 3 months already :
>
>  https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-July/msg00004.html

While Fedora 9 may be EOL, there are older distributions, such as
CentOS4.x that are not.  Is there an official policy on what distros
are supported?  I can't find a list on the website or wiki.  The
'ganglia.pod' file claims:

  Ganglia runs on Linux (i386, ia64, sparc, alpha, powerpc, m68k,
mips, arm, hppa, s390),
  FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonflyBSD, MacOS X, Solaris, AIX, IRIX,
Tru64, HPUX and
  Windows NT/XP/2000/2003/2008 making it as portable as it is scalable.

That still true?  The file was last updated in r1708 (Aug 2008), but
the vast bulk of the content is from r225 when the file was created
back in 2003.  When was the last time someone built ganglia on IRIX,
or Linux-hppa (<shudder>)?  This of course ignores various
distributions, which seems to be the problem at hand.

This all said, I strongly suspect that a build that works on
RHEL4/CentOS4 will work with Fedora9 (if there's a desire to support
that distribution).  Similarly, a build that works for older SuSE
releases would be useful as well.  And let's not forget the ancient
Debian systems out there. ;-)

--
Jesse Becker