On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Martin Knoblauch <kn...@knobisoft.de> wrote:
> [...]
half right i think.

any gmond can receive data about any machine; each gmond will include
it's cluster info as it sends metrics out.  i think this is done in
XDR format.  the gmond that receives this info will store it in memory
and export it on demand as a well-formatted xml tree wrapping machine
data inside of a cluster tag as it was received in XDR format.  gmetad
doesn't separate data by cluster, it's already done by gmond....just
telnet to a gmond's tcp_accept channel port and look at the output.
default port is 8649 i think.

i think any host's metric data that is not part of a cluster would
still be wrapped inside of a cluster tag with a default cluster
name--not sure about this though.

my point is that gmetad shouldn't be confused about which host is in
which cluster regardless of it's gmetad.conf.

i just started with a company where the gmetad.conf was completely
wrong about data sources and clusters.  while the gmond.conf's on the
end nodes specified the clusters as they'd intended.  despite this
misconfiguration it still just worked in the end because the xml tree
on any of the gmond's was still correct--each host's metrics were
wrapped in the cluster tags as intended.

anyway, i may be dragging this out, but i figure it's good to clarify
as this conversation will probably turn up in ganglia search results
by some sys admin looking for answers a few months from now.