On Feb 24, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Bernard Li wrote:

> Hi Neil:
>
> I finally had a chance to test out the patch.  Didn't run into any
> major issue on my end, so +1 from me.
>
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Neil McKee <neil.mc...@inmon.com> wrote:
>
>> There are three metrics to draw particular attention to:
>>
>> 1. System UUID
>
> I noticed that on my Windows host, UUID is
> 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.  I guess UUID generation on
> Windows is not supported yet?  I tested with hsflowd 1.12 on Windows
> XP.

The Windows UUID appears for me,  but that's from a Windows7 OS.  Maybe we
would need to look in a different place on XP.  (The Linux port falls back on
the UUID of the first local disk if it can't get a UUID for the whole system,
so maybe something similar to that would be acceptable as a work around.)
Please raise this question on host-sflow-discuss.

>> The "Datasource ID" and "Parent Datasource ID" can be treated as opaque
>> strings that the UI could use to capture and represent the containment
>> hierarchy.
>
> Perhaps you could explain a bit about the format of "Datasource ID"?

The specs on sflow.org cover this,  but basically it consists of
{IPAddress,dsClass,dsIndex} where the IPAddress can be a v4 or v6 address,  and
the dsClass tells you if the dsIndex is referring to an interface, a physical
entity or a logical entity (such as a VM or application).   Conceptually I
think of each datasource as being one "observation point" in the system.   From
ganglia's perspective it's probably best to treat it as an opaque string,  and
just use it to know,  for example,  that a particular VM is running on a
particular hypervisor.

> I've granted you SVN access, so please feel free to check the code
> into trunk.  But perhaps Brad might want to review the code quickly
> before you do so :-)

OK.  I'll wait for Brad to comment.

> Can you also modify the manpage for gmond.conf plus add it to the
> default configuration?  I'm okay with "accept_all_physical = yes" as
> the default.

OK.

> BTW, are you interested in implementing UUID for gmond?  We've been
> talking about using UUID instead of hostname/IP as host identifiers
> because those things could change, so I think this would be a great
> feature to be added to our code base.

I really don't know my way around gmond,  and that sounds like it might be a
far-reaching change.

Neil