On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:11:16PM -0800, Bernard Li wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
> <care...@sajinet.com.pe> wrote:
>
> > and also requires some post processing for the right formatting :
> >
> > ?http://www.mail-archive.com/ganglia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net/msg05612.html
>
> In the email, you said:
>
> "after the binaries are build then pipe them to help2man, then some
> sed to replace the "`" if I recall correctly."
>
> So do we want "`" or not, because it looks like the code in trunk
> right now has "`":

obviously I didn't recall correctly ;), specially considering that the
source of the backticks is actually gengetopt.

> I guess it all depends on the locale of your system.  On my RHEL6b2
> system, everything is single quote and there are no "`".

which version of help2man?, which locale, and which version of the binaries
are you calling that don't have backticks in --help?

> Are you aware of any other post-processing that needs to be done?

* removing the version (--version-string=" " could help as a workaround)
* a descriptive name (-n"manual page for Ganglia Status Tool" for gstat)
* removing the misalignment that is added in the DESCRIPTION with the
  package name, version and the '.SS "Purpose"\n.IP' string which was removed
  with commit 1132

> I think the only thing left is slightly better formatting for AUTHORS
> and COPYING then we can use those as template for the manpages (in my
> Makefile I generate a help2man include template that has AUTHORS,
> COPYING and BUGS).

presume first creating suitable include files for -i

> What do you think?

since I don't have such Makefile, there is not much I can comment on, but
my attempt of generating a test updated man file for gstat showed the
formatting was really off compared with the original, so hope you had better
luck :

  $ help2man --version-string=" " -N -n"manual page for Ganglia Status Tool" -i
AUTHORS -i COPYING ./gstat > ../mans/gstat.1

Carlo

PS. using help2man 1.38.2