This may be better for the general list than the developers list, so I've
added that to the distribution. Followups should probably remove
'ganglia-developers'.

I hope my answer doesn't muddy things further for you.

When a metric is communicated in Ganglia (by gmond or its plugins), it has
a unit string with it. That unit string is never interpreted by gmetad,
rrdtool, or any other component of the web presentation part of Ganglia.
 So, for example, some metrics are sent with a unit of KBytes.

When that metric is recorded in rrdtool, the unit information is only used
as part of the display strings; any scale component of it (the K in KBytes)
is completely ignored.

Then, when Ganglia uses rrdtool to display the measurement, it uses
rrdtool's scaling facility to present the graph. That results in SI
prefixes (as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix) on the graph.

So yes, in fact, 5M of a KByte measurement (like swap) *does* mean 5GBytes.

Much of this is a legacy of using 32b counters to communicate measurement
values in earlier versions of both Ganglia and the underlying components it
measures.