On 05/03/14 20:29, Ben Hartshorne wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The process towards the ganglia team having ownership over the default
> ganglia chef cookbook is proceeding well.  I have a dilemma I'd like your
> help solving.
>
> There is a strong preference in the Chef community towards having the name
> of the github repo containing a cookbook be the same as the name of the
> cookbook, as well as a strong preference towards having the name of a
> cookbook being the same as the name of the software it configures.
>
> For example, the popular web server nginx is configured by a cookbook named
> nginx in a repository named nginx:
> https://github.com/opscode-cookbooks/nginx. This extends so far as to
> assert that when downloading the cookbook from the community site directly
> (eg http://community.opscode.com/cookbooks/nginx) the directory in the
> tarball must be named the same as the cookbook. When organizing your chef
> cookbooks, they live in a directory structure that matches the name of the
> cookbooks; eg chef/cookbooks/nginx/.
>
> This doesn't mix terribly well with organizations that host cookbooks for
> configuring their own product. The elasticsearch folks, for example, buck
> this trend and name the repository cookbook-elasticsearch. While some tools
> understand this, at other times you have to manually rename it to just
> 'elasticsearch' (the name of the cookbook) before you can use it.
>
> It's understandable why they did this thing, if you go to
> http://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch, what you find is the actual
> elasticsearch product.  This makes perfect sense, and is what you would
> expect when you come at it from the perspective of some random person
> looking at github.
>
> My dilemma: from the perspective of a chef user, we should name the
> repository 'ganglia'.  From the perspective of github, we should name it
> 'ganglia-cookbook' (or its current name, 'chef-ganglia').
>
> We're in the unique position that this choice is not forced; we don't
> currently have a repository named 'ganglia', since the main ganglia
> codebase lives in monitor-core.
>
> If the repo name was the only piece of information presented to a person
> browsing repositories on github, the choice would be much simpler. The
> presence of the repo byline ("A chef cookbook for installing and
> configuring ganglia") makes it pretty clear what the repo contains
> regardless of its name. This byline makes it reasonable to me to name the
> repo just 'ganglia' instead of 'ganglia-cookbook' or something like that.
>
> So, who's got opinions?

I would prefer you avoid using that name for a repository - it may
create some confused questions on the list.  Some people may link to it
by mistake (when they mean monitor-core)

I'm not familiar with chef though, has this issue been discussed in the
chef community?  It sounds like they need to be slightly more flexible
about repository names.