kent-

i second steve's comments.. if you take a look at this slide from a talk
that i gave you'll see what's going on with multicast...

http://ganglia.sourceforge.net/talks/lug_lbl_talk/html/slide_6.html

.. using separate multicast channels will allow for hardward filtering at
the datalink layer.  if you use different ports the message passes all the
way up to the UDP protocol layer before it is dropped or processed.

good luck
--
matt

Today, Steven Wagner wrote forth saying...