mike-

i think you are right.  the router configuration is the place to look.
setting the ttl in the header of a multicast packet works more like a
suggestion for the router.  if the router it configured to forward
mulitcast traffic, it will decrement the ttl and pass on the message
otherwise it will just drop the data.

good luck.  i know pitifully little about routers so you'll need to get
the details from someone else.  :)

-matt