one possible thing to check is ntp.  we have seen problems where ntp will
shift the time into the past after gmond is started.  gmond's metric
scheduler will then wait that extra time before collecting and sending
data.  this is often a problem when you run gmond inside a virtual machine.

good luck

-matt