Jesse Becker wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:01, Ofer Inbar <c...@aaaaa.org> wrote:
>
>> Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> and 3.2 can possibly go to a full XML format gmetad.conf with more
>>> advanced templates, etc.
>>>
>> Please tell me that's not being considered?
>> XML is a horrible lousy format for these kinds of config files.
>>

> I concur.  I *STRONGLY* object to using XML for configuration files.
> It's not so bad for data, but config files.

I don't think it's a question of XML is good or bad, and I never
intended to exclude other possibilities.

I think we need to consider various factors:

- some configuration settings (e.g. setuid, debug level) probably
requires little more than the current file format and these settings are
probably not changed often, and even then, only an advanced user would
change them

- other configuration (e.g. the list of clusters, the RRAs or the
proposed templates) may change more often and may need to be changed by
some kind of tool

Data in the latter category may be appropriate for XML.  It may also be
appropriate to have it in an RDBMS.  Maybe even a DSO approach is
needed, where people can code their own configuration module to read a
custom source.  Before making such decisions, we would look at:

- what kind of tools would be useful for working with the data: a web
interface?  Generic XML editor? Custom tool written in Java?  Or would
users like to transform data from another source?

- is it important for users to maintain the files manually, or will the
focus shift to tools, web interface or config files generated from some
other enterprise data source?