I've also observed this and have been unable to find a solution.  In my
case at least there was no obvious correlation with the number of
metrics or weather the gmond was an aggregating or not (so several
orders of magnitude in the number of metrics did not matter, it might
happen on 2 out of 80 nodes). gmond would take up memory > physical RAM,
swap, and general sadness.

I'm unfortunately not able to provide further information since we went
to nightly gmond restarts as a work around.