This type of issue has been discussed a few times on the -developers
list and in other projects

Essentially, autotools is very picky and varies a lot from one version
to the next

So the only thing that the release team can support is bootstrapping
from an identical system each time.

All the recent releases I've participated in were bootstrapped on Debian
6 (squeeze) amd64, using the standard auto* packages on that system.

Therefore, the recommended approach is that someone with local patches:

a) spin up a VM with exactly the same environment (Debian 6)
b) run autoreconf --install  in that VM
c) run `make dist'
d) copy your new tarball and/or source tree to the machine where you
really want to build

and one further suggestion: if you can share your patches, and if the
-developers group likes them (which is usually the case) they could
potentially be integrated into the project for you, other people's
changes won't break your patches, and so you may save work in the long run.

Regards,

Daniel