So for background, my original problem is that load_one will not be
updated by gmetad for a period of over 600 seconds (an arbitrary timeout
signifying that gmond/the host is probably down).  It occurs a few
times/day across hundreds of hosts, and often occurs near midnight
localtime. This *appears* to correlate with messages along the lines of
the following (I didn't see anything else suspicious in syslog):

Aug 12 23:53:26 adq82 /usr/sbin/gmond[28637]: Error 1 sending the
modular data for entropy_avail#012
Aug 12 23:59:00 adq82 /usr/sbin/gmond[28637]: Error 1 sending the
modular data for mem_cached#012
Aug 12 23:59:10 adq82 /usr/sbin/gmond[28637]: Error 1 sending the
modular data for diskstat_sda_write_bytes_per_sec#012

Since it occurs infrequently running in debug mode on every server is
not a good option.  But false positives that keep people from sleeping
are bad. First of all, does a correlation between these messages and all
metrics not reporting for a period of time make sense?  If not what
should I be looking at?

Second, if this is anything other than a red herring, I'm totally
confused how to debug it. Even if debug was enabled the debug message
[1] does doesn't seem to include any additional information.  Also "1"
seems like it could be two different errors [2] [3].

System information:
 - gmond 3.4.0
 - centos6
 - using send channels