On 2013-03-14 09:04, Simon Boulet wrote:
> Now, I would like to group VMs separately from the Hosts in Ganglia Web.
> Currently both the VMs and the Hosts appears in the same cluster. I was
> thinking of having a separate cluster for the VMs. However, it doesn't
> seems possible in my current configuration, since clusters appears to be
> managed per Gmond source (and both the VMs and Host metrics are collected
> by the same Gmond running on each host).
>
> Is it possible to send spoofed cluster name using gmetric (or the
> underlying XDR representation)? Or would I need to run a separate Ganglia
> infrastructure (separate gmonds that are configured as a different cluster).
>
> Or is it possible to create "logic" cluster (or hosts groups) from within
> Ganglia Web?

You are correct that the notion of a data collection cluster is tightly
bound to the clusters shown in the web ui.  There is not currently
support for distinct logical groupings, or to have gmond belong to
multiple clusters.  Note that you don't have to duplicate your entire
infrastructure to achieve this effect though, only another set of gmond
aggregators.

You might want to look into
[views](http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ganglia/wiki/ganglia-web-2#Views)
which don't support the ad hoc exploration of the ui, but would let you
create separate dashboards for your vms.