On 30/05/14 21:04, Oliver Hamm wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm just sending you a little request concerning which metrics should
> be monitored.
> For starters all of the metrics in gmond will be added and sent on
> request, if you don't have the list in mind you can type "gmond -m" in
> a terminal to get it.
>
> But, on top of those, I can also add some useful ones that you might
> need in everyday's life and since I don't use Ganglia a lot I don't
> really know what would be useful for the users.
>
> You can send your propositions through the mailing list, or just shoot
> me a mail directly to avoid spamming it. I'll then do a list of all
> the metrics that were proposed, send it to the mailing-list for
> reviews and code them if possible.

This type of discussion is quite welcome on the list - most people have
a threaded view of their emails these days, so it is not a hassle

Can you clarify, your focus will be exclusively on metrics within gmond
itself or you may also make metrics about the gmetad or rrdcached
daemons' activity?

In the biggest Ganglia install I was ever working with, it was very
useful to have a version metric - in other words, a string metric with
the full gmond version.  The code is here:
https://github.com/ganglia/monitor-core/blob/master/gmond/modules/status/mod_gstatus.c#L55

It sounds trivial, but in a heterogeneous network where every cluster is
managed by different people and they do not all update their agents on
the same day, it is very useful to know which clusters have which versions.

Other people will have different requirements.

Another interesting metric would be to extend the network stats to give
per-NIC metrics.  For each NIC, it would be nice to have some of the
following:

- a string metric with the MAC address
- a numeric metric with the NIC speed (in bits per second)
- the usual byte count and packet count metrics

The source code of the multi-CPU and IO stats modules could provide some
clues about how to make a multi-NIC module.