I have found a number of old posts regarding graph resolution in the
archives but can't really get a clear answer to my question.

On our webpage:
  for the hour view, all the graphs have a data point every 4 minutes
  for the day view, all the graphs have a data point every 15 minutes
   etc.

this resolution is too blocky.... how to make it finer?  for example, in
the hour view, i would like to see a data point every 10 seconds.  in
the day view, i'd like to see a data point every minute.  where do i
adjust these values so the graphs look more smooth?

BTW we are using version 3.1.7

Thanks