DUDE!  That is awesome!  :-)

Cee

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bill Hileman" <[email protected]>
To: "GatorTalk" <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:22 PM
Subject: [gatortalk] Our Day with the Gators!


>
> I don't know if this will work or not, I'm getting mixed feedback from
> others.  It might only work if you have a FaceBook account and are 
> logged-in
> on that account, but the link from FaceBook says it's supposed to be
> publicly available...
>
> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=66146&l=a122a&id=599441781
>
> Yesterday, my family met the Gators in person!
>
> It all started over a year ago.
>
> I was at work, listening to Steve Russell's Sports Scene radio show, and 
> he
> had Shelley Meyer on.  The news had recently been out about the Meyer's
> hosting a dinner in their home for anyone who donated $1 million.  I 
> thought
> I'd call in and make a "funny."  "Thought" being the key word here.  From
> memory, it went something like this:
>
> Me: Hi, Shelley!
> Shelley: Hi, Bill!
> Me: I've heard about this have dinner with the Meyer's thing if you can
> donate $1 million to the Athletic Association.  I don't happen to have a
> spare million at the moment, but would you consider meeting me and my 
> family
> at one of the local McDonald's, and I'll spring for Happy Meals for
> everyone!
> <dead silence>
> Shelley: Um... I don't know what to say.
> Me: Oh, well, it was worth a try.
>
> I e-mailed Steve Russell that afternoon and begged him to pass on my 
> sincere
> apologies to Shelley for putting her on the spot like that, and explained 
> it
> was a very lame attempt at humor.  Steve passed my e-mail on to Shelley 
> and
> the next day she e-mailed me back.  She was very gracious about it, and 
> even
> offered for my whole family to come to one of the Thursday night "family"
> practices to meet the team.  For various reasons, I never was able to go
> last year, though Shelley and I kept corresponding back and forth
> periodically.
>
> This year we were able to attend.  We were going to attend the Citadel 
> game,
> since that was the lowest pressure of all the games, but that was the week
> Shelley had to go to Georgia Tech for her daughter's VB scholarship stuff,
> so we agreed to do it during a bowl practice night.
>
> Last night was it.
>
> As a bonus, we also got to meet Lou Holtz.  He was very gracious as well.
> Nobody called him over, he just saw us (I'm sure Dustin in the wheelchair
> had a little to do with it) and autographed the helmets Shelley gave us 
> and
> took pictures with both my boys.  Much later, when it came Urban's turn, 
> and
> we handed him the mini-helmets, he immediately noticed Lou's signature on
> the helmets and looked at Shelley almost admonishingly and asked her about
> it.  She explained that Lou came over to us on his own, he wasn't asked.
> I'm guessing Urban wanted Lou's full input on the practice and might have
> been upset if he was called over for that.
>
> We met many other players during the practice that we didn't get to take
> pictures of because the practice was still going on and we wanted to 
> respect
> the "no cameras" rule.  We met Louis Murphy and Carl Moore first, later we
> met Percy Harvin.  I told Percy "Dude, I am SO glad you picked UF to play
> at!"  He grinned and said "Me, too, man.  Me too."  We got signatures from
> every player who stopped by.
>
> By the way, Dustin is in a wheelchair because he recently had corrective
> orthopedic surgery on December 9th by Dr. Woo of the UF Sports Medicine
> complex.  Dustin had severe in-toeing that hasn't corrected itself and
> needed surgery.  He had both femurs undergo a "controlled fracture" (OUCH)
> and re-aligned with titanium rods in place.  He can stand on them but it
> hurts.  He'll be undergoing physical therapy starting this week but will
> probably be confined to a wheelchair for a few more weeks.
>
> Shelley was a very gracious host, and spent almost the entire time with 
> us.
> I just can't say enough about her.  We also met Tim's father and brother,
> Pete (in one of the pics).  Also, Tim was the last one we met, and he 
> spent
> a very generous amount of time with us.  I think I shook his hands three
> times.  Later, Dustin said to me "Daddy, Timmy was SWEATY!"  Heh, I 
> noticed,
> he put his arm around my shoulder for the pic, and I didn't mind in the
> least.  My other son, Dylan, later said to me "Dad, I want to join the
> Gators now because they're the best!"
>
> Also, after Tim left, Shelley noticed he had dropped his hand towel near 
> us
> and asked me if I'd like to keep it.  DUH!  I only wish I could now get 
> him
> to autograph that!
>
> Even when you never attended UF as a student, IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA
> GATOR!!!!!!!!
>
> Go Gators!  Whoop the Sooners!
>
>
> Bill Hileman, MCP, CPD, BCIP
> Programmer/Analyst, DASI
>
> DASI Home Page
> http://www.dasi-software.com
>
> The Bondsman
> http://www.bailbondprogram.com
>
> FTP Site
> http://www.dasi-software.com/download
>
>
> >
> 


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions   |   2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions   |   2007 National Basketball Champions
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to