I can remember when the movie price was 9 cents with popcorn, candy and a
fountain coke a nickel each.  Coke bottles had a 2 cent deposit, so I only
had to find 12 of them in the alleys or streets of Jacksonville and I could
go first class to the Capitol Theater at 8th and Main.  The grocery around
the corner from the theater on 8th sold bread for a nickel.  Those were the
days.

 

 

A. Leon Polhill

FlaNative1845

330 NW 45th Street

Gainesville, FL 32607

(352) 367-4642

 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Jerry Belloit
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:39 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [gatortalk] Re: Coca Cola (was: Gatorade and G)

 

I remember getting really upset when the price for the machines increased
from 5¢ to 6¢!  

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Oliver Barry
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:34 PM
To: Gatortalk
Subject: FW: [gatortalk] Coca Cola (was: Gatorade and G)

 

And what did y'all pay for those icy cold bottles way back then, a nickel? 
Oliver

-----Original Message-----
From: Cecilia <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 10:46 AM
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: [gatortalk] Coca Cola (was: Gatorade and G)

Well, that was the first LARGE bottling company that was sanctioned by the
company.  There was some dude down in Vicksburg, Mississippi, who came up
with the brilliant idea of bottling the most popular fountain drink at his
store. 

I don't actually drink any soda any more since I found out last March that I
have diabetes.  I can't tolerate Nutradeath (gives me a pounding headache)
and really don't like the taste of any artificial sweeteners anyway, but the
high fructose corn syrup in regular Coke was destroying my pancreas.  Not
surprisingly, IMO, I dropped 25 lbs in about 3 months as soon as I stopped
drinking sodas.  Hmmm.  I suspect that I could have continued drinking Coke
my whole life if they hadn't changed the formula back in the 80's when they
brought "Classic" Coke back after the New Coke bombed.  Unfortunately, the
"Classic" Coke wasn't really the classic Coke... it had HFCS instead of
sugar. 

Yes, I'm bitter about it.  Dang it, I *loved* Coke.  After giving it up
nearly a year ago, though, I don't really like it that much any more.  I had
a sip of my husband's at the movies last night, and it just didn't taste all
that good... and fountain Coke used to be my second favorite (right after
those little icy cold bottles we used to get in the chest style soda coolers
at service stations)!   ;-)

Cee 
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gatornet Admin
  To: [email protected]
  Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 10:02 AM
  Subject: [gatortalk] Re: Gatorade and G


  I'm a gator and Pepsi is the official soft drink of the University of
Florida, therefore, I drink Pepsi.

  Sounded good, but I drink Pepsi because I've just always drank it. To me,
it's just not as "syrupy" as coke. Besides that, I'm a "bi-drinker". If I'm
in a restaurant that only offers coke, I drink it and have no problem with
it.

  FWIW, coke rules here in Chattanooga. Something about it being the
location of the first bottling plant or something.

  Randy

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Cecilia
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:47 AM
    Subject: [gatortalk] Re: Gatorade and G


    As a native Atlantan, I'm just not allowed to say anything good about
Pepsi.  ;-)

    Everybody knows that Coke is the Real Thing.

    Cee
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: [email protected]
      To: [email protected]
      Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:59 PM
      Subject: [gatortalk] Re: Gatorade and G


      I hate pepsi.

      P is the right name!


      On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Jerry Belloit <[email protected]>
wrote:

        Perhaps Pepsi should change their name to "P" as well.  Then people
could drink "P".



        Jerry



        From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of [email protected]
        Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 4:32 PM
        To: [email protected]
        Subject: [gatortalk] Re: Gatorade and G



        I thought it was probably a new Gatorade drink or something.. .didnt
think it would be a total name change altogether.

        This is what happens when Pepsi gets involved.. they screw
everything up.

        Soooooooooo glad Im a diet coke man.

        Woody



        On Jan 16, 2009 4:11pm, Gatornet Admin <[email protected]> wrote:
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > Wow! So they're connected to Gatorade? I had no
        >
        > idea...
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        > Randy
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > ----- Original Message -----
        >
        >
        > From:
        >
        > Jerry
        >
        > Belloit
        >
        >
        > To: [email protected]
        >
        >
        > Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 3:30
        >
        > PM
        >
        >
        > Subject: [gatortalk] Gatorade and G
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > I don't know how many of you saw the "G" commercials during
        >
        > sporting events lately.  Frankly, I did not even know what G was
about
        >
        > until today.  It is an apparent attempt by Pepsi to disenfranchise
the
        >
        > Gatorade name from the product in order to appeal to new consumers
(F$U
        >
        > grads?).  Here is a link to an article about the program:
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        > http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...rade_0115.html
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        > I was so enraged over their program than I contacted the
        >
        > company with the following:
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        > "I generally don't write to a company with a complaint on a
        >
        > marketing program.  However, I feel as a business professor and as
a
        >
        > consumer, I need to let you know just how much I dislike your new
"G"
        >
        > marketing program.
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        > If your goal was to evoke a strong emotional response, you
        >
        > have succeeded.  If your goal was to increase the desire to feel
positive
        >
        > about purchasing the product, you have failed miserably. 
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        > I understand that you may be attempting to expand the
        >
        > market appeal, trying to reach a broader group, but, in my
professional
        >
        > opinion, I don't believe that this accomplishes your objective. 
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        > First, I had no idea that the "G" commercials had any
        >
        > connection to Gatorade, Pepsi, or any consumer food product.  In
fact, if
        >
        > I had been asked to guess, I would have thought that it was some
new program
        >
        > by Nike or some other shoe company.
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        > Second, the desire to disenfranchise the Gatorade name from
        >
        > the product is mind-numbing!  The history and name brand loyalty
is
        >
        > important.  If you would have liked to create a new product, why
didn't
        >
        > you just come out with a G brand and leave Gatorade to its own
market.  I
        >
        > think that the result of this will be similar to the New Coke
disaster of your
        >
        > competitor.  I might add that right now, the Gator brand
(University of
        >
        > Florida) is stronger than ever and seems poised to grow even more
as their
        >
        > athletic programs become even stronger.
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        > Finally, I have another concern.  Two years ago you
        >
        > changed the formulation of Gatorade to be sweetened by fructose.
As an
        >
        > athletic performance beverage, fructose is not a particularly good
        >
        > choice.  With the existing formulation, I feel like it is somewhat
        >
        > similar to any non-carbonated soft drink and not a beverage that
will enhance
        >
        > my ability to excel athletically."
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        > I responded to them through their "Contact Us" portal on
        >
        > the Gatorade.com website.
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        > Jerry
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >







     

 

 





--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions   |   2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions   |   2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions   |   
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

<<inline: image001.gif>>

Reply via email to