Um... who cares whether Urban Meyer gives sports writers warm fuzzies?  I 
certainly don't.  Mike must really have been stretching to find something to 
write about.  Besides, how can we give his words any credibility when he says 
he LIKES Bobby Bowden A LOT?  Yuck.

Cee
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: [email protected] 
  To: gatortalk googlegroups 
  Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:03 AM
  Subject: [gatortalk] RE: [gatornews] [MikeBianchi] Florida Coach Urban Meyer 
doesn't seem to be anybody's buddy


  Blah, blah, blah, blah.  

  This story was over a long time ago.  I can't believe this writer is still 
blabbering.  It's just that (1) Gators and urban meyer are kings of the 
mountain (2) everyone either loves them or hates them (3) Gators and urban 
meyer sell news .  

  Otherwise this story would not have be written.  It was dead and buried a 
while ago.


    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: [gatornews] [MikeBianchi] Florida Coach Urban Meyer doesn't
    seem to be anybody's buddy
    From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    Date: Sat, May 16, 2009 9:21 pm
    To: [email protected]



    Florida Coach Urban Meyer doesn't seem to be anybody's buddy
      Mike Bianchi | SPORTS COMMENTARY 
      10:54 PM EDT, May 15, 2009
    Running off at the typewriter. ...

    With the rift between Florida Coach Urban Meyer and Gator great Shane 
Matthews resurfacing again on the four-letter network, it got me to thinking 
about Meyer the other day. I've made my feelings known on this issue, but let 
me reiterate: Meyer was out of line when he said former players like Matthews, 
who does a talk radio show in Gainesville, better not criticize the football 
program or they will be blackballed and labeled a traitor.

    "If you want to be critical of a player on our team or a coach on our team, 
you can buy a ticket for seat 37F. You're not welcome back in the football 
office," Meyer said a few weeks ago to the Central Florida Gator Club. "You're 
either a Gator or you're not a Gator."

    Although Ayatollah, er, Coach Meyer never mentioned Matthews by name, those 
inside the program confirm he was indeed talking about Matthews, a two-time SEC 
Player of the Year and the quarterback who led the Gators to their first SEC 
title in 1991. Matthews has been critical of UF's offense in the past, but 
supposedly he and Meyer have ironed out their differences since Meyer made the 
above comments. Good for them.

    It's never good when an authority figure — whether it's the nation's 
president or just a football coach — uses threats to stifle open dialogue. What 
next — Meyer declaring martial law on UF's College of Journalism?

    But I digress. In the midst of the Meyer-Matthews controversy, I began 
thinking about my true feelings regarding Meyer. That's when it hit me: I don't 
really have any strong like or dislike for the Florida football coach.

    Here's what I mean: When Steve Spurrier left Florida for the NFL, it made 
me a little sad because Spurrier was such a rascal and I liked him. Even though 
I think Bobby Bowden should retire, I will be sad when he finally does because 
I like Bobby a lot.

    But when Meyer leaves UF, I won't be sad or happy. I won't be anything. 
Meyer is obviously a great coach, but he doesn't really cultivate relationships 
with fans or media. He's simply not very accessible or embraceable.

    I don't really know Urban Meyer.

    Does anybody?

    Not a knock, just an observation. ...

    Short stuff: Never thought I'd hear this coming from another writer, but 
this is what I heard from my neighbor on press row Thursday night: "Where would 
the Magic be without Mickael Pietrus?" ... And even though I don't know nearly 
as much basketball as Stan Van Gundy, I know enough to see Pietrus and Courtney 
Lee should be playing ahead of J.J. Redick. ... After the Game 6 victory over 
the Celtics, Van Gundy, who melodramatically took the blame and fell on the 
sword after the Game 4 loss and had his star player rip him after the Game 5 
loss, actually claims it's the Orlando media that overreacts when the Magic 
lose. Pot meet kettle. ...

    A buddy of mine says Microsoft is putting out a new NASCAR operating system 
soon. It's called "Winders XP." ... Still can't believe Manny Ramirez tested 
positive for a female fertility drug. I don't know if it will help him break 
Barry Bonds' home run record, but he might soon become the first Major League 
Baseball player to have sextuplets. ... True story: A writer for the school 
newspaper at Hillsdale (Mich.) College found the carcasses of dead animals, 
including a deer, a goat and a possum, on his front porch after he wrote a 
negative editorial about the baseball team. My question: When did Urban Meyer 
become the baseball coach at Hillsdale? ... Brett Favre in line in front of you 
at the grocery store: "I'll take plastic. I mean paper. I mean plastic. I mean 
paper. I mean plastic." ... Reportedly, thousands and thousands of social 
security checks are sent to the deceased every year. I believe the Pittsburgh 
Pirates got one just the other day. ...

    Last word: Talked to the iconic Jerry Greene the other day and Uncle Jerry 
wants to know, "When exactly did Ed Hochuli get his license to officiate NBA 
games?"

    Mike Bianchi can be reached at [email protected].


    

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions   |   2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions   |   2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions   |   
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to