Eh, I'M not! :)

Randy

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: [email protected] 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 10:30 AM
  Subject: [gatornews] [TampaBayOnline] Will the NCAA see it Florida State's 
way?


  Will the NCAA see it Florida State's way?
  By MARTIN FENNELLY | The Tampa Tribune 

  ------------------------snip, snip, snip----------------------

  I bet he's pulling for his friend Bobby B. I bet a lot of people are. Bowden 
has earned that goodwill.

  I'd pull for those wins to be unvacated myself if I thought it would make 
Bowden see the light and make a graceful exit from the sidelines.

  I have no idea what will happen with the NCAA. Some think it's out to get FSU 
because the school stuck to its guns over its Seminoles nickname. I don't think 
this is about that.

  "I think they tried to kill a flea with a hammer," Bobby said in March.

  Academic fraud is not a flea.

  And tell me Florida State wouldn't kick back that American Indian nickname in 
return for Bobby getting those wins back.

  Understand, FSU isn't fighting the scholarships being taken away or anything 
like that, which could very well impact wins and losses, too.

  It's worried about the wins, in all the sports involved, but no one is 
fooled: This is about Bobby, whether Bobby likes it or not, and I don't think 
he minds it being about him if it helps him keep those wins.

  If anything, the NCAA might just give back these wins as a going-away present 
to a grand old coach — provided he goes away.

  That's my thinking, anyway.

  I have no problem if the NCAA says different.

  The big argument, made ceaselessly by FSU President T.K. Wetherell, who would 
crawl through pig slop for Bobby, is that these sanctions hurt hundreds of 
athletes and dozens of coaches who had nothing to do with the cheaters.

  But that's nothing new. Steve Spurrier and his 1990 Gators weren't in on the 
violations that kept Florida from claiming the 1990 SEC title, but that's the 
way it works.

  I bet there are some Memphis basketball players who actually took their SATs 
who are going to pay for the scandal now emerging in the haze of John 
Calipari's exhaust fumes.

  There are high schools that have to vacate titles and victories all the time 
for using ineligible players — even if the schools didn't know.

  There are vacated this-and-thats all over the NCAA record books.

  Why should a coach pay for players' misdeeds?

  I'll turn it around. Why do players pay for coach's mistakes?

  It's the way of the world.

  Maybe the NCAA sees its way to see it FSU's way.

  I wouldn't be surprised if it did — or didn't.

  Gosh, they should televise this. I'd watch.



  

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions   |   2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions   |   2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions   |   
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to