Congrats to both of you.

My sister just quit also.  Must be some stars / planets / moon / tide / sunspot alignment type of thing ...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [gatortalk] Re: apparently I
From: "Bill Hileman" <bi...@dasi-software.com>
Date: Mon, November 02, 2009 1:33 pm
To: <gatortalk@googlegroups.com>

Hang in there, Jay.  I also quit just a tad over a month ago.  For me, it was the $1/pack extra tax that finally did it for me.  I've been smoking since I was 21 (at least proud that I didn't succumb to peer pressure) and I'm fifty now.  I can't tell you how many times I've tried to quit.  I think the longest I'd ever gone was a little over a month, and that was with the patch back when you had to get a Dr.'s prescription for the patch.  They started me too high, and it backfired.  When the dosage started, I was getting the equivalent nicotine of 10.5 packs of cigs a day, then tapered down two weeks later from 21mg to 14mg, which was tough, but I rode it out, then when I tried to taper down to 7mg, I could not handle it.  I wound up smoking more than I had when I tried to quit.  Tried several times since then, never lasted longer than eleven days.  This time, I didn't even WANT to quit, I just felt I had to because my cigs went from $24/carton to $50/carton OVERNIGHT.  I was already spending way too much money on them, but to double it?  Oddly enough, it was not nearly as bad this time for some reason.  I started on the 14mg patches, and never even got to the 7mg patches.  I did use some lozenges that I'd been rationing on-an-off forever, and finally ran out.  Went and bought a HUGE supply of nicotine gum at Sam's club (4 mg) and wound up using only about 1/12 of that.  If you'd like some free patches and/or gum, let me know.  I don't need either one anymore, I've finally kicked the habit for good.

Only problem is, I think I've gained like 10 pounds in the mean time, sigh.