Here is a problem I give my class when explaining opportunity cost:

Assume that you are a 18 year old 1-Pack per day cigarette smoker.  Assume
that you decide to quit and invest the money you spend on cigarettes in the
stock market.  How much would you save by the time you reach 65 years old?

Assume that cigarettes cost $4.99 per pack and that they do not increase in
price over the next 47 years.

Historically the stock market has earned about a 10% rate of return per year
even with the bad markets in 2007 and 2008.

$1,983,021

Thus the opportunity cost for smoking is this much!  This is actually a very
conservative estimate of what you would earn since it assumes that the price
of cigarettes and their taxes do not increase over the 47 years.

This goes with Fran’s reason.

Enjoy,

Jerry