Subject: [gatornews] [SUN / A.P.]: 2010/05/13 20:29 --- Florida
basketball recruit bypasses senior season [Associated Press]
From: Shane Ford <go.ufgator...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 14, 2010 8:45 am
To: gatorn...@googlegroups.com

Florida basketball recruit bypasses senior season

The Associated Press

Published: Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 8:29 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 8:29 p.m.

One of Florida's top high school basketball players wants to skip his final season and get an early start with the Gators.
Scottie Wilbekin of The Rock School announced Thursday he intends to sign a national letter-of-intent next week to play for coach Billy Donovan at Florida next season. The 17-year-old is scheduled to graduate from the private school on May 21.
"At first I was hesitant to give up my senior year," he said. "They (his high school coach and parents) reassured me and I'm looking forward to being a Gator next year."
Wilbekin is still awaiting his SAT results, but said he plans to enroll at Florida in June. He said he's a little nervous about making the transition to the Southeastern Conference after playing at a small school.
"It'll be tough, but just one more year wouldn't be that much of a difference," Wilbekin said. Donovan "didn't really say if he going to ease me in or not. I'm going to go in there and prove what I can do and he'll play me accordingly."
NCAA rules prohibit Donovan from commenting on a player until he has signed a letter-of-intent.
The 6-foot-2, 175-pound Wilbekin averaged 19 points, four assists and five rebounds per game last season for The Rock, which finished 23-6 and advanced to the Region 1-1A semifinals.
Wilbekin was ranked as a two-star recruit by Rivals.com. He would be the fifth member of Florida's signing class.

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us