From: gatorn...@googlegroups.com [mailto:gatorn...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Shane Ford
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:08 AM
To: GatorNEWS
Subject: [gatornews] [SUN]: 7/21 19:10 --- McElroy out to improve Tide's
timing [Aschoff]

McElroy out to improve Tide's timing

<http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=GS&Date=20100721&Categ
ory=ARTICLES&ArtNo=100729896&Ref=AR&MaxW=600&border=0>

Alabama QB Greg McElroy talks with members of the media at SEC Media Days in
Hoover, Ala. on Wednesday. (AP photo)

By Edward Aschoff
Gainesville SUN Correspondent

Published: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 at 7:10 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 at 7:10 p.m.

HOOVER, Ala. - Greg McElroy is on a never-ending quest to better himself.

Sure, he's 14-0 as the starting quarterback at Alabama and he's got an SEC
and national championship ring to show off, but that's not enough. He wants
his senior year to be about improving as a football player, while keeping
that unbeaten record intact.

To help, McElroy sought advice from one of the best in the sport. For the
last couple of weeks, McElroy had the privilege of hanging out with Super
Bowl-winning Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning. The future NFL
Hall of Famer told McElroy that in order to keep his success churning,
timing has got to become an obsession.

"That is so important for a guy that's not going to be able to throw it
through a brick wall," McElroy said.

McElroy has worked constantly on trying to get the ball out of his hand as
fast as possible. He's studied endless film, learning how his players move
and how defenses operate. But the thing that's helped the most is actually
getting together with his receivers to work on plays.

Timing has truly turned into an obsession for him and his receivers, with
the objective of having one of the nation's most exciting offenses.

"We want to be in the upper echelon of having explosive plays," he said.

But McElroy's summer hasn't been all about football. The senior finished his
second draft of the essay he's submitting to become a Rhodes Scholar and
study at Oxford University in England. The 1,000-word essay on his
intellectual journey from childhood to well into his future will focus on
attempting to answer the question if talent on the football field and social
and academic interaction are learned or natural.

McElroy called former Florida State safety and Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle on
Tuesday for advice as he awaits his fate. McElroy will have his interview
Nov. 20 - the Saturday before the Auburn game.

It's a dream right now for McElroy, but becoming a Rhodes Scholar could go a
long way to helping him improve the lives of others once football is over.

"I just want to make a difference," he said.

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us