I thought Woody made possible the construction on the Men's Clinic on
campus?

 

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Arthur Polhill
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [gatortalk] Re: [gatornews] [SUN]: 7/20 21:19 --- Some
boring golf, SEC talking points and ranking rivals [Dooley]

 

I haven't seen any figures on UF's ticket sales.  However, Paula and I
did qualify for Tennessee away tickets this year for the first time
which verifies that UT is having trouble with ticket sales.  I
immediately saw the fact that Woody got season tickets as a sign that UF
ticket demand is soft as well.  No offense meant, Woody.  It's just that
you hadn't mentioned that you had donated a building to UF.
 

A. Leon Polhill, Gator
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
I said I didn't know." - Mark Twain 

 

 

________________________________

From: Helen Huntley <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wed, July 21, 2010 9:18:09 AM
Subject: [gatortalk] Re: [gatornews] [SUN]: 7/20 21:19 --- Some boring
golf, SEC talking points and ranking rivals [Dooley]

So has anybody seen numbers on UF season ticket orders? I wonder if the
only reason our sales are not down is that demand has always exceeded
supply and this year we simply filled more the demand (like Woody's
order).

What about the rivalry rankings? I think leading up to the Alabama game,
it will seem like the No. 1 rivalry, but Georgia is still tops with me.
FSU still has to prove it's back.

 

**

15. Another topic that is sure to result in some questions out in Hoover
is the lagging season ticket sales at several SEC schools. Georgia,
South Carolina and Tennessee are all down this year. Is it the economy
or a lack of expectations or both? Is there any way to blame BP for the
drop?

16. People like to get on the SEC for scheduling cupcakes and there is
plenty of icing been spread around this year's schedules. But the Big 12
gets the softness award for scheduling only 12 of its 48 non-conference
games against BCS teams. (The SEC has 16 of 48). Maybe we're starting to
understand those lagging season ticket sales.

17. I brought this up on my radio show and offer it up to the Gator
Nation. It's my contention that Florida's rivalries change in importance
depending on what's going on with those schools. And right now I'd rank
them this way - 1. FSU, 2. Alabama, 3. Georgia, 4. Tennessee. The Vols
are harmless but the Seminoles believe they are back. That makes venom
spew more freely. Discuss.

 

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Shane Ford <[email protected]>
wrote:


Some boring golf, SEC talking points and ranking rivals



By Pat Dooley <mailto:[email protected]> 
Gainesville SUN sports writer

Published: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 9:19 a.m. 
Last Modified: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 9:19 a.m. 

 

 

Summer is over for the Back Nine because it's football season. Pay no
attention to the humidity or the fact that it is July. It's football
season. Because I said so.

 

10. Is it a conspiracy? Did the world's golfers get together and decide
to try to ruin my summer? Seriously. OK, maybe my life is a vapid waste
of brain cells but one of the real joys of summer is waking up early and
watching the British Open. It was so boring, well, so boring I didn't
watch much. Instead, I went to the beach and had a couple of
Oosthuizens. Oh, wait, that's the guy who won. After a U.S. Open that
failed to deliver the British was 10 times more boring. On the way to
Daytona Beach, we went by a couple of sod farms and I joked that if one
of those farmers was asked what he does for a living he'd say, "I watch
grass grow." Which would have been twice as interesting as watching this
Open. I like Louis Oosthuizen. Seems like a good guy. Great golf swing
which makes me wonder why he missed the cut in seven of his previous
eight majors. But Sunday was a drag. Bad production values and way too
much love for the mystique of the tourney. That I could have lived with
if there was interesting golf. Like, say, Tiger Woods could still play.

11. We find ourselves wondering about the biggest reason we turn the TV
on to watch golf. Woods was very average all week. When he switched
putters it sounded like the act of a desperate man. I'm not ready to
write him off but I am going to say he's not back, not really that
close. St. Andrews was supposed to be his return to the throne. So was
Pebble Beach. But the truth is the mental strain seems to have taken its
toll on the world's No. 1 golfer. Phil Mickelson? I have no explanation
for the way he played, especially the iron he hooked out of bounds on
Saturday.

12. There was one great moment on Friday and that was when Tom Watson
kissed the Swilcan Bridge on 18 and took one final ovation at the old
course. Watson said he's not done with the tournament but he knows he's
probably played his last British Open at St. Andrews. It was touching.
And kudos to Tiger for letting Watson's group play up. Watson has been
one of Tiger's biggest critics, but there are times when you have to let
those things go.

13. Speaking of which, Michael Jordan needs to back off his criticism of
LeBron James. Jordan said he wouldn't have gotten together with other
superstars to form a super team like James did. Yeah, except one of the
50 greatest players of all-time ended up on your team, MJ. Jordan is the
best ever to play the game and he's hardly the only person to be
critical of Miami Thrice, but I think he went a little far. All I know
is the NBA has been relevant in July for the first time since, well,
ever. Not always for the right reason. Dwyane Wade's comments pushed the
good taste boundaries. He said that the media would make it seem like
the World Trade Center was falling down again if the Heat lost two or
three games in a row. He did apologize Monday. There should be a rule
for all athlete's that the following subjects are off-limits to
analogies - Hitler, Manson, 9/11, the Holocaust and slavery.

14. Just when things appeared to be calm this summer, we head to Hoover
with controversies springing up everywhere. It looked like we might be
talking only football out there a couple of weeks ago, but Georgia lost
its athletic director, Vanderbilt its coach, Tennessee and Georgia have
players get in trouble with the law, South Carolina has an agent issue
with Weslye Saunders and Florida is dealing with the possibility of
vacating the Sugar Bowl win because Maurkice Pouncey might have taken
money from an agent. Vacating wins is the lamest NCAA punishment there
is. I'm just not sure that there is an alternative that makes sense. And
if Florida has to vacate the win over Cincinnati, do the Gators have to
give the trophy back? Do Tim Tebow's records stand up?

15. Another topic that is sure to result in some questions out in Hoover
is the lagging season ticket sales at several SEC schools. Georgia,
South Carolina and Tennessee are all down this year. Is it the economy
or a lack of expectations or both? Is there any way to blame BP for the
drop?

16. People like to get on the SEC for scheduling cupcakes and there is
plenty of icing been spread around this year's schedules. But the Big 12
gets the softness award for scheduling only 12 of its 48 non-conference
games against BCS teams. (The SEC has 16 of 48). Maybe we're starting to
understand those lagging season ticket sales.

17. I brought this up on my radio show and offer it up to the Gator
Nation. It's my contention that Florida's rivalries change in importance
depending on what's going on with those schools. And right now I'd rank
them this way - 1. FSU, 2. Alabama, 3. Georgia, 4. Tennessee. The Vols
are harmless but the Seminoles believe they are back. That makes venom
spew more freely. Discuss.

18. The iPod will be plugged in for the long drive to Hoover with these
dandy songs I picked up - "American Sun" from Maida Vale, "All the Love"
from Sister Hazel and we go back in time for "Do You Believe in Love" by
Huey Lewis and the News.

Contact Pat Dooley at 352-374-5053 or at [email protected]. You can
listen to The Pat Dooley Show weekdays from 4-6 p.m. on 104.9 FM. And
follow at Twitter.com/Pat_Dooley.

 

-- 
GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions | 2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions | 2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions | 
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel
(1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us
<http://www.gatornet.us/> 




-- 

Helen Huntley

(727) 823-3801

www.helenhuntley.com <http://www.helenhuntley.com/> 

-- 
GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions | 2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions | 2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions | 
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel
(1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

-- 
GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions | 2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions | 2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions | 
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel
(1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

-- 
GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions   |   2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions   |   2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions   |   
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

Reply via email to