This off week came at the perfect time, it has allowed everyone to sit back
calm down and look at this season in the grand scheme of things.  It has
given the football team a chance to heal physically and it has given the
coaches an extra week to fix the problems.  It has even given me a chance to

At the risk of being labeled a Polly Anna, we are not as bad as we have
looked.  In fact, for as bad as we have played we easily could have won the
last two games.  Of course, we could have just as easily been blown out.

What I am seeing with this team is conservative play calling, poor execution
by players and turnovers.  With bad play calling and poor execution, we
still would have won the last two on talent alone.  Throw in turnovers at
inopportune times and it spelled doom.

Playcalling - I am not sure if it's the plays being called or the scheme.  I
watch a lot of football and there are a couple of plays that we just don't
run.  One is WR crossing routes off the line - this makes the defense make a
choice immediately as to who is going to cover who, more often than not one
of the WRs will get separation and be open.  This is an especially important
play for us as our OL is not providing the protection for our guys to get
open downfield, and most D's are playing a cover 2 most of the time, leaving
2 safeties deep to double on the long ball.  The second thing that is
missing is misdirection - based on how we line up and certain tells (look at
RBs and OL slightly angled in the direction we are going), not every player
but enough that a LB who has watched enough film during the week can
probably guess right 80% of the time which direction we are running.  A
misdirection play will help because they now have to wait before attacking
the hole.  The third big missing play is a simple slant or crossing route
from our slot receivers.  These guys will usually be covered by a LB coming
across the middle and we should be able to win that battle, but we never
seem to run the play.  The last thing is audibles at the line.  I don't know
if Brantley is allowed to or not, but last week we had at least 2 plays
where the corner came on a blitz and the WR was left uncovered as the
safeties had crept up to cover the run.  A simple hot audible and it would
have been a TD, but instead we handed off to a RB both times.

Execution - Who was the coach when asked about his team's execution replied
"I'm all for it"?  Bottom line is we have very talented players who more
often than not are in position to make plays, but don't.  I don't know if is
mental or what, but they have the physical attributes but tank.  Brantley
with off-target throws, we have seen him zip it in at time, but he is
inconsistent.  Deonte with the drops, numerous OL whiffing on blocks, DBs
who can't tackle, etc.  I have a hard time attributing this to coaching as
this coaching staff has been successful in the past, yes there are a lot of
changes, but at the same time there is a lot of holdover too.

Turnovers - Anybody else equate the return of fumbilitis with the return of
Stan Drayton? Wasn't that the big knock on him when he left?  Turnovers are
killing us, we fix this and things will get better in a hurry.

As for this weekend, I'm as nervous as I have been in a long time for a
Cocktail Party, but I think we will come out strong and with something to
prove.  Ugh is going to come out and think they can throw it all over the
field like they have the past 3 games (against UT, UK and Vandy).  They are
going to find out that even with 3 losses, we are bit more formidable
opponent than they have seen recently and if they want to try and use AJ
Jones, bring it on, I say we end up with at least 3 picks this weekend.  If
we don't turn the ball over, Gators win 34-17.  If we turn it over, someone
better rush Woody to the hospital...

Ken K
MNGator

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us