  From: Jay Cicone
  To: gatortalk@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:50 AM
  Subject: [gatortalk] pregame report

  Finding "Patient Zero"
  Posted on September 28, 2011 by The Franchise
  Stop me if you've heard this before.
  "Long story short. Bama is a better team than us right now. They retained
most of their offense and lost a lot of defense. We lost a lot of both, but
retain alot of defensive talent. What has been often missed in this transition
this year is the 4 new coaches/coordinators that we have this year. There's no
way a Charlie Strong defense let's what happened in Atlanta last year happen
again. although, I believe Charlie Strong was the DC when Bama hung 31 on us in
our last visit to Tuscaloosa. Different Jimmie's and Joe's back then though."
  If that sounds familiar, it was the beginning of my prediction for last
year's early October tilt of 4-0 Florida as they visited 4-0 Alabama. Soooo.
What's different: We still have a busload of new coaches. Bama still has Saddam
HuSaban and Trent Richardson. We have pretty much the same set of dudes we
trotted out there last year in T-Town. Bama still has an NFL defense. Also,
when I wrote that, I had no idea they'd hang 31 on the Gators again. So what's
different? What are we even talking about here.?
  A Florida team full of question marks last year went into Tuscaloosa for a
night game sporting the following stats through the first 4 games: 151 point
scored, 57 points allowed. For a plus 94 differential. Florida had rushed for
676 yards and 12 TDs (5 of those courtesy of Trey Burton vs. Kentucky). John
Brantley was a 64% passer, throwing for 700 yards and 6 TDs at a 6.4 yards per
attempt pop.
  Defensively, Florida had allowed 1182 yards of total offense and was
intercepting everything under the sun. (Remember last year. NOBODY would throw
it toward Janoris Jenkins, and when they did he would pick it.) They held 3 of
the first 4 opponents under 100 yards rushing, and two of those under 30 yards
(Tennessee and Miami (OH)). Everything looked great.
  Conversely, Bama had outscored opponents: 158-39. For a robust plus 119
differential. Bama's defense had allowed. get this, 1181 yards of offense. It
all seemed like a pretty even match up. then, the ball was kicked off.
  Florida's season turned on one play that night. I highlight this play in a
post from October 3rd of 2010 called, "That makes your ass look fat." The title
was appropriate as describing us trying to run an offense and plays that worked
when we were a very different team. It was the night we realized that Trey
Burton, while a great person and great athlete, was not Tim Tebow. We learned
that Alabama has coaches and watches film too. And the offense never looked the
same the rest of the season.
  If you remember, Bama drove the field easily on their first possession, got
first down and the Florida 12 yd line and the Gators were able to make a stop
and Bama had to kick a field goal. Florida responded with a 12 play, 7:07 - 74
yard drive where on play 10 it appeared Trey Burton had scored, but I suppose
the replay showed otherwise. On play 12, Trey Burton attempted the "jump pass"
which Tim Tebow made famous and was intercepted in the end zone by Nico Johnson
for a touchback.
  That play was "Patient Zero" in Florida's offensive plague last season.
  From that point forward, we were disjointed, nervous, out of sync, and began
rotating quarterbacks like Steve Spurrier taking shots of 5 hour energy with a
Four Loko chaser.
  Here was the game log: Bama responded: 80 yards, 9 plays, Touchdown, Mark
Ingram. Gators 3 and out- punt. Bama: 8 plays, 42 yards, Touchdown, Mark
Ingram. Gators: 3 and out- INT. Bama: 2 plays, Touchdown, Marquis Maze to
Michael Williams. Gators: 3 and out- punt.
  The Gators finally recovered and made a stop and in turn kicked a field goal
to make it 24-3, but their offense was infection from that point on.
  So, why any optimism now that I've brought up that turd sandwich of a game?

  This was the worst. But Not This year and NOT in our house!!
  The key is to NOT compare Florida's first 4 games of last year to their first
4 games of this year, but to compare the 2011 first 4 to the LAST 4 games of
last year. Big difference right?
  This year Florida and Alabama's stats are eerily similar to 2010. Florida has
scored 161 points and allowed 36 for a plus 125 differential (+31 better that
2010). Brantley is a 63% passer, throwing for 752 yards and 4 TDs, but at an
8.85 per attempt clip. The biggest difference is that the Gators have rushed
for 1039 yards (+363 from last year. and that couldn't ALL be put on the array
of ground ball snaps in weeks 1, 2, and first half of Tennessee is 2010).
  Bama has scored 154 points and allowed 32 for a plus 122 differential (+3
from previous year) in their first 4 games of 2011.
  It is clear and obvious that we are a better team than we were the last 4
games of 2010. and the last 9 games for that matter. I'm sure you've heard the
old Mike Tyson saying, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the
face". The first half against Bama last year was when the Gators were "punched
in the face" and they did not respond. Perhaps that opened the door for the
array of chemistry and attitude issues that were rumored to be rampant last
year, maybe they were already there and this made them worse. Either way, this
team appears to be tougher and more close knit.
  Charlie Weis is certainly a better OC and QB coach than Steve Addazio was an
OC and O-line coach (No Daz bashing from me. he's doing a HELL of a job at
Temple. but alas, he's only doing one job).
  I won't make a prediction although I have one based on a mathematical formula
based on team's point differentials that I devised out of no real math skills
or knowledge. Bama's point differential vs. Florida when we played last year
was +25 for them. they then beat us by 28.
  However, I will say that our defense is for real. We'll need some breaks in
the game. We will need to get in the end zone when we get in the red zone (at
least twice), and we will need every single one in the Swamp wearing Orange and
Blue to be loud. We need some production out of you Gator Nation. You too up
there in row 77! Yeah, on the West Stands. yes you Dave, Class of '67. I need
you to get your rear end off your padded seat and yell, clap, and scream.
  This Bama team has played in HUGE games. much bigger than this one. Every SEC
stadium likely has at least 60 rows of seating all the way around, and every
team in the SEC is used to that. It's row 61-90 that makes Ben Hill Griffin
Stadium, THE SWAMP. That "upper 30" as I call us (yes, my seat is in Row 89
baby!) changes a loud and hot stadium, into a living nightmare for the likes of
Quarterbacks like AJ McCarron.
  This goes for you too Student section. Now listen up here, cause this is
important. Drink LOTS OF WATER on Thursday and Friday. You won't remember to on
Saturday. Take your happy ass home at a reasonable hour on Friday night. Grog,
Swamp and Cantina are wonderful establishments, I recommend 2 out of 3 of them
highly, but they'll be there all year. Here's where we need some discipline
from you. You're all smart kids, your incoming GPAs are higher than Jeff Demps'
40 yard dash times (4.3) and you average like 7,560,000 on your SATs so I'm
sure you can get this.
  DRINK IN MODERATION. Believe me, I've been there and I've seen alot. For the
love of Mr. 2-bits. You are NOT helping this team by being so drunk that you're
vomiting either in the stands or having to leave to do so somewhere else, or
fighting with someone, even a Bama fan, or so drunk and disoriented that your
friends are spending all their time watching you and tending to your drunken
pulp of a corpse that they're not paying attention to the game. Yeah, I'm
talking to you Jay in row 8. Get it together. We all know you wanna get nice
and lubed up for this one, but for goodness sakes, keep yourself IN THE GAME. I
know you won't listen. Nobody's reading this anyway, but if I can get one of
you to mix in a water with your Bourbon Meyer's on Saturday so you can make it
through the game, that's one more rowdy who's voice will be heard. (Jumps off
soapbox)
  Stand all game. Never leave early?
  Sure for some of us. But if that's not your style. at the very least, on
third down, get off your ass for the 4-6 seconds (pays Urban Meyer $1) it takes
to finish a play and help get our defense off the field.
  This team feels different. I like this team. And I like that they like each
other. They are giving their all and I'm sick and tired of hearing about how
good Alabama is.
  It is NOT their god given right to be a Top 5 team and we are not a speed
bump on their way to the Pseudo SEC/BCS Championship game vs. LSU on Nov. 5th.
  We are the Florida Effing Gators and you are in our Effing House!!!!!!!!
  Welcome to Gainesville. Spend some money here and be on your way. Take all
your Houndstooth crap with you.
  I'm going to go refresh my Four Loko chaser now. See ya'll Saturday. Go
Gators!

  Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

<<Picture (Device Independent Bitmap) 1.jpg>>