Dont personally know him but hes been quite a legend of sorts in the 
blogosphere and twittersphere. 

Woody (via iPhone)

> On Dec 2, 2013, at 7:05 PM, "mail.bobparks.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Is this a friend of yours, Woody?
> 
> Oliver Barry, CRS, GRI
> Real Estate Broker
> Bob Parks, LLC
> 1517 Hunt Club Blvd
> Gallatin TN 37066
> 615-972-4239
> 615-826-4040 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> Begin forwarded message:
> 
>> From: Woody Bass <[email protected]>
>> Date: December 2, 2013 at 5:41:30 PM CST
>> To: WXIA <[email protected]>
>> Subject: [gatornews] The Unsportsmanlike Gentleman: Small Time Satirical 
>> Gators Blogger Calls It Quits; No One Cares
>> Reply-To: [email protected]
>> 
>> http://www.theunsportsmanlikegentleman.com/2013/12/small-time-satirical-gators-blogger.html?m=1
>> 
>> Small Time Satirical Gators Blogger Calls It Quits; No One Cares
>> 
>> Hey everybody, this is my 200th post on the site! YAY! Can you believe it? 
>> However, did you know The Unsportsmanlike Gentleman has been around since 
>> the start of the 2008 season? Well, it’s true, my friends. Granted, I wasn’t 
>> going by The Unsportsmanlike Gentleman in those days and I was only writing 
>> game recaps for my friends on Myspace (HA, outdated websites!), but that’s 
>> where this all began. Then in 2010, I decided to go public, thus TUG was 
>> born on a Facebook page to test the waters before diving into a full fledge 
>> blog. After that season ended, I joined Twitter and shortly after that, I 
>> started this site.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Three seasons and a lot of losses and laughs later, I’m here to tell you all 
>> that this is my final post as The Unsportsmanlike Gentleman. All things must 
>> come to an end, right? It’s time for me to move on and do something else. 
>> What that is, I still haven’t figured out. But, I feel like the time is 
>> right to step away from playing this character. And yes, The Unsportsmanlike 
>> Gentleman is a character. This is satire and if you thought any of this was 
>> real, I will pray for you. (Sadly, some did. Looking at you, Georgia 
>> Bulldogs fans!)
>> 
>> I’m hanging it up for a variety of reasons. I do this in my spare time for 
>> fun and to give me a creative outlet to keep me sane while I work a mind 
>> numbing office job. My job doesn’t allow me the benefit to sit down and 
>> write during the day when I have down time. Sure, I can sneak away and fire 
>> off some quick tweets here and there, but that’s about it. Sitting at my 
>> desk during the day analyzing spreadsheets with my left brain and trying to 
>> come up with a scouting report with my right brain doesn’t lend me to being 
>> the most focused or productive employee during football season. So, trying 
>> to maintain the site in the evenings and weekends can be a hassle and I 
>> don’t want it to be that way. 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> But, the biggest reason why I’m hanging it up is because I’m just tired of 
>> playing this character and I want to be myself on the internet for a change. 
>> I feel like I’ve plateaued with this blog and I’ve taken it as far as I’m 
>> going to take it and I’d rather end it now before it became unfunny or 
>> stale. Maybe it has already, I don’t know, but if it hasn’t, then it 
>> inevitably will.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> I love satire. I don’t think there is a greater form of comedy than a 
>> well-written, sharp, satirical piece, but writing satire is tough. There's a 
>> fine line you have to walk. The best satire is when you know it’s satire. 
>> That is why I am going to leave the satire business to the professionals 
>> like The Onion, Stephen Colbert, South Park, and PFT Commenter. And let me 
>> say, if you don’t know about PFT Commenter, go follow him on Twitter or find 
>> him at Kissing Suzy Kolber immediately. He is so fantastic and astoundingly 
>> hilarious that it makes me angry. If I could do this all over again, TUG 
>> would be what PFT Commenter is, but I’m not smart enough to pull off what 
>> he’s doing or I would’ve have done it in the first place.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Anyway, there are a lot of people I want to thank for the support and 
>> helping me to this point. First of all, the people who joined the Facebook 
>> page in the very beginning, you all are wonderfully, insane people, for whom 
>> I love. You got into a car with a deranged stranger and let him drive you 
>> around town even though he had no idea where he was going or what he was 
>> doing and was never looking at the road. It means a lot.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> That goes for everyone who has read this blog and was a fan. I didn’t know 
>> what to expect when I started this. The internet is a dark, damp basement of 
>> assholes waiting to shit on anything that someone else tries to create that 
>> doesn’t match their interests. I really loathe those people. If you dislike 
>> something, be it a movie, book, TV show, etc., move on and keep searching 
>> until you find something you love and promote it to the world. What’s the 
>> point in wasting your time telling someone they suck because you didn’t like 
>> the video they posted on YouTube? 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> I am so happy that the comments, emails, and messages I’ve received over the 
>> years from you all have been nothing but positive and supportive. I’ve only 
>> received a handful of negative comments and the majority of those were from 
>> fans of other schools. So, thank you, guys, for being awesome! 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> A big thanks to Paul Sjoberg at Our Two Bits. I was on Twitter for about two 
>> weeks and had probably 25 followers before Paul reached out to me and wanted 
>> me to guest write for his site. I agreed and my first ever post was the 
>> Muschamp Intensity Meter. I had about 700 new followers by the next day. 
>> They are good people over there at Our Two Bits and I’m really appreciative 
>> of them letting me post my nonsense on their site.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Thanks to Chris and James at Gators First, had they contacted me a day 
>> earlier, I would have probably been guest writing for them instead of Our 
>> Two Bits, but they were still kind enough to repost some of my stuff on 
>> their site and gain me a larger audience.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Thanks to Andy Hutchins at Alligator Army for linking my stuff on his site 
>> from time to time. I’ve gotten so much traffic from AA. More than any other 
>> source, in fact. Andy may ruffle some people’s feathers, but I thoroughly 
>> enjoy reading what he writes.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Thanks to Michael Nash for designing the awesome headers and background for 
>> the site. He does great design work and I highly recommend him if you need 
>> someone in that area.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Thanks to all the other Gators blogs that I've interacted with, The Bull 
>> Gator, Jean Shorts Torture, Throw The Flag, The Gators Daily. You guys are 
>> great and I honestly believe that Florida has the funniest, smartest group 
>> of bloggers and writers of any fanbase in college football, including EDSBS 
>> with Spencer and Celebrity Hot Tub. The last few seasons of Florida football 
>> have been less than fun on the field, but every single one of you has 
>> entertained me on a daily basis and at times, had me in tears laughing. It 
>> has been a privilege serving beside you all and I hope to continue to in 
>> some form in the future.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Thanks to my biggest fan, the Palm Beach Post’s Jason Lieser. He’s been 
>> quite upset about me hanging up TUG since I confirmed the news to him a few 
>> weeks ago. He even threatened to quit his job if I stopped blogging. Jason’s 
>> one of the most entertaining Florida beat writers to follow on Twitter and 
>> has promoted me quite a bit on that time wasting site. It is much 
>> appreciated, sir. Please don’t quit your job over this dog and pony show. 
>> Bloggers like me are a dime a dozen. It’s not worth it, man.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Thanks to Blackout Sports for having me be a part of their network for a 
>> month. Sorry it didn't work out!
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Lastly, thanks to my friends who continue to support, encourage, and push me 
>> to write more and improve as a wannabe writer/comedian. This blog would 
>> never have existed if it weren't for you. I love you all tremendously, even 
>> though almost all of you are FSU, Miami, or Alabama fans. 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> So, what’s next for me? Eh, I don’t know. I guess I’m a free agent of sorts 
>> at the moment. I want to continue to write, just not sure what yet. I’m 
>> going to take a little break from blogging to figure out what I want to do. 
>> I don’t want to say TUG is dead forever. I may get the itch to write satire 
>> again, but if he does return, it will mostly likely be in book form. I’ve 
>> had an idea for a book in my head for the last two years, but it just shows 
>> you how lazy I am that I haven’t even bothered to sit down and write it. I 
>> think it’s a good idea for a book and would be pretty funny, but we’ll see.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Oh, and who exactly is the man behind TUG? Hello, I’m Blake. Sorry to 
>> disappoint you, but I’m a nobody. I'm the most average person you'll ever 
>> meet. I’m 31. I live in Polk County (I know). I’m a nice guy. I'm quiet and 
>> laid back. I don’t go outside much. I have immaculate hygiene. I love 
>> Reece’s peanut butter cups. I don’t drink (I can hear your gasps from here). 
>> I’m a rational Gators fan, if that’s a thing that exists (get this—I don’t 
>> think Muschamp should be fired OR that Pease should have been fired [ducks]. 
>> Maybe that just makes me dumb and not rational. I don’t know.) I’ve never 
>> been married, nor do I have children, unlike TUG who has experienced 
>> multiple divorces and has a few offspring that he pays no attention to. His 
>> only love is Florida football. So, ladies, I’m single! Holla!
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Have I managed to successfully ruin your image of TUG? What I’m saying is, 
>> I’m mostly the opposite of that character. TUG was an alter-ego for me to 
>> get my most asinine, irrational thoughts out and make people laugh.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> If I made just one of you chuckle, then it was worth it. I never made a 
>> single dime writing any of this, but I didn't get into this looking to make 
>> money. Like I said before, this was all purely an outlet for me to entertain 
>> and I certainly had fun doing it and I hope you did too because this is 
>> supposed to be fun. It’s a game. Losses don’t bother me and believe me, I 
>> certainly want Florida to win, but win or lose, I’m going to laugh and enjoy 
>> it.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Don’t worry, though. I’m not leaving for good. I will still remain on 
>> Twitter at my current account and will still tweet plenty of jokes about the 
>> Gators and college football, the sport I love the most. Same sense of humor 
>> and all. However, the account will now be my personal account meaning other 
>> random jokes and me laughing at how bad my Chicago Cubs are (I can handle a 
>> 4-8 season because I’m a Cubs fan). So, I hope you’ll stick around on 
>> Twitter and let me entertain you more. The Facebook page will basically just 
>> be a community for us discuss Gator football and crack wise. As for this 
>> site, it will remain in case I get the itch to blog again and for anyone 
>> who’s feeling nostalgic and wants to read some old stories.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Finally, thank you again to everyone who has wasted a little bit of time to 
>> read something I’ve written. Whether you loved or hated it, I appreciate it. 
>> I love you all and maybe next season I can meet some of you at a game and 
>> you can tell me how much I have changed your life.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Woody (via iPhone)
>> -- 
>> -- 
>> GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
>> 1996 National Football Champions | 2006 National Basketball Champions
>> 2006 National Football Champions | 2007 National Basketball Champions
>> 2008 National Football Champions | 
>> Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
>> Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us
>> --- 
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> "GatorNews" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>> email to [email protected].
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
> -- 
> -- 
> GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
> 1996 National Football Champions | 2006 National Basketball Champions
> 2006 National Football Champions | 2007 National Basketball Champions
> 2008 National Football Champions | 
> Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
> Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "GatorTalk" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

-- 
-- 
GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions   |   2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions   |   2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions   |   
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"GatorTalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to