I live in Gainesville and am a former County employee.
City of Gainesville: Pros: Proximity to UF sports and culture. Medical
facilities. Cost of living is decent for Florida.
Cons: Lots of people complain about Gainesville Regional Utilities' bills.
Some of it is perception and some is reality. I'm in some community groups
with strong GRU defenders. My GRU bill includes Electric, Natural Gas,
Potable Water, Wastewater, Storm Water and Refuse. Most I talk to are
comparing this total bill to other area's Electric-only bill. Our home is
2,300 sf, I work from home (AC set about 80 degrees during summer days), we
have great attic insulation and energy efficient, double paned windows, in
a heavily treed area. It's just the 2 of us most of the year. Our total GRU
bill averages $200/month. Roads - UGH! The City is currently redoing 8th
Avenue for the 3rd time in a year. If they'd listened to the citizens, the
current design would have been the initial design. Don't try to remove a
tree, even when it falls down on your home from the city-owned
right-of-way. We're almost to the 2 year mark on that fight. GRU had no
maintenance budget for ~20 years. Pipes are exceeding capacity, breaking,
etc. Some areas of the city do not have wastewater svc, like the
neighborhood across the street from ours. So their septic drains into our
creek.
Alachua County: Pros: Lifestyle. Nature. Becomes rural quickly in most
directions. Areas served by Clay Electric Co-op or City of Newberry pay
less for electricity.
Cons: Roads. Budget - I don't know why, and I've tried to figure it out.
Alachua County and Leon County have similar population & similar acreage of
land on tax rolls. Alachua has 9 municipalities, Leon has 1. Leon's
property appraisals are about 5% higher. Leon's Constitutional Officers'
(Tax, Property, Sheriff, Clerk of Court, Elections) budgets average double
Alachua's. Leon's multilane roads are in good condition, with one
exception.

I have several Residential Realtor friends. Different specialties. I could
connect you if you want.
-Jeannene