This email about sexual orientation change reminds me my own personal
experiences.

A section of mental health professionals still believe all this stuff about
changing ..etc.
An awful but yet funny incident i would like to quote is- i was undergoing this
kind of electric shock diversion therapy (when i was still in college and was
forced to do so by family)..They used to tie a band over my wrist, and show me
the erotic nude pics(mmmm the shrink had a good collection though !!!)  of men
and would ask me how i feel.The moment i used to express my feelings, the
doctor used to press a button and an electric wave would pass up my arm. I
would scream in pain.. I hated the feeling and the pain. The moment i used to
come out of the clinic, i used to see some guys from a nearby college i used to
get aroused instantly... (lolzz)..I used to partially escape these electric
shocks by not telling anything when he used to show me the pics.. But the
shrink was smart and probably guessed it,he wanted to try hypnotization.
Infact he could not hypnotize me either..We spent quite  a lot of money n time
on this all crap.
At this time i just told my parents "that i have become allright" to escape
from these tortures..Later i met very nice and helpful doctors at NIMHANS in
blore,who rightly helped me to realize about the pros/cons of being gay.I chose
to be comfortable with wat i am.

Actually in practice wat they do is they try to control one's sexual feelings
by various therapies like mild shock treatments,counselling, behavourial change
therapies ..etc ..etc
But i guess most of modern psychiatrists would not do it unless someone is
feeling very bad about his sexuality (case quoted below).. I have also heard
bad examples of some quack (i call them so) doctors who put u on some
medications ...etc. So please take care of tat !!. But often the success rate
is very low..From my own personal experience i think it is waste of time and
money to try all tat.Better and easier option is to get comfortable with one's
sexuality (bi,gay or straight).As the doctor himself has said below,being gay
or straight is beyond one's control.

If the stmt of this doctor about changing is correct, it should also be
possible to change heterosexuals into homosexuals...

Dear friend some of the questions(maybe the docs will ask u same !!,sorry if
some of them sound offending ) you should ask yourself before going into such a
treatment

1. How strong are your feelings(sexual/emotional) for men?
2. Are they purely sexual or do you tend to emotionally bind them also?
3. For how long have you been experiencing such feelings for men? how many
times have you had sex with men and to wat extent ?
4. Why do you feel bad about it , i mean is it very thought of it, is it
because of your marriage or social/family reasons??
5. If given a chance to choose altogether (forget for a moment ur married )
whom would u choose a man/woman.
6. Are you currently in any emotional relationship with a man?
7.Was your first sexual experience voluntary or kind of imposed on or
situtations in which it happened. Wat did you exactly feel after that ?

Although you should get medical advice,in my opinion,your responses to these
questions will determine your 'intensity towards men'.

 In your case,it is quite tricky because you really donot want to cheat your
wife by being infidile.Discuss with doctors who are not too biased and choose
wat you want. At best they can enable you to control your sexual urges towards
men better by all diversion therapies but  they cannot completely eliminate it.

Regds
Prash

pest quest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

hi
in the magazine 'new woman'nov.04 issue, under the
caption'intimacy issues' there was a question whether
gays are born gay or they become gay due to some
reason.

i am quoting the reply given by one dr. rajan
bhonsle a consulting sex therapist & counsellor:
no one is born gay or homosexual. homosexuality is a
result of an unconscious choice that a person makes
during his growing years, due to various known &
unknown factors, often beyond the conscious control of
the person.

it is an unfortunate 'result' of various
factors such as basic personality 'type', uncensored
exposure to sex, dysfunction in the family,
inappropriate parental influence, lack of correct &
value based sex education, experience of direct or
indirect child abuse, etc.

however if a person 'truly'
wishes to change his/her sexual orientation at any age
'willingly', it is possible to help him. but imposing
this change will not help! his self ' motivation'plays
a major role in the treatment.

i am a married person, having come to know about my
sexual orientation after marriage. now my wife knows
and we are both undergoing deep mental torture. i
would like to 'change' 'willingly' as the doctor puts
it, especially because it will rid me of the trauma of
cheating on my wife. i would appreciate guidance from
the moderators & other members of the group.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/WfTolB/TM

NEW CLASSIFIEDS SECTION
SEEKING FRIENDS? VISIT
www.gaybombay.info
click on classified section and type your message in the post section once the
link opens

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

For Parties and evenets go to:
http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,04497/srt,0/gaybombaygroup/?v=42&POS=
Post:-  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Groups Homepage:-  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gay_bombay